Thursday, September 25, 2014

Complete

This last week has been CRAZY and full of firsts with Micah. Crazy because Micah had a random fever of 101.8 and the cardiologist wanted him to come in for observation. Luckily he fever subsided and we left less than 24 hours later.

Aside from the annoying hospital stay, some of his firsts included his first bath in a real tub, his first time to Mass, his first time living in Virginia. He's been such a little sweetie. He sleeps through the night (though I don't know what baby wouldn't when you have a stream of continuous feeds filling your belly).



Dylan on the other hand is having a difficult time adjusting to life with a little baby around. Dylan comes home from daycare and immediately runs into the living room to see if the baby is still swinging in it's swing, Dylan wants to be held by whichever parent is currently tending to the baby, Dylan wants to sleep with us because the baby sleeps in out room, etc. A few nights ago, my saint of a husband tried to calm our screaming (almost) 2 year old who hasn't been sleeping through the night. I'm more worried about Dylan waking Micah than vice versa. I wish we could explain who Micah is to him and that we love him just as much as before there was a new baby around. 

We're making slow progress though... I think I reached a milestone with Dylan tonight. He has only been wanting Ray to give him his night time bottle and put him to bed (it breaks my heart because bed and bottle time is cuddle time!). Well tonight I put on a sad face when he took his bottle out of my hands and walked over to Ray with it. Dylan looked at me, tilted his head, and gently said a string of incoherent words that I THINK was supposed to comfort me (aww). So I walked over to him and he let me give him his bottle and put him to bed!! Yay!!


Despite the craziness around here, I've never been happier and felt so proud. I feel like our new house is beginning to feel like a home. All four of us under one roof, doing normal family things. It seems so simple but it's so fulfilling. I love my family so much. I don't know how I was so blessed with such beautiful boys.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there. Many toddlers have a tough time transitioning from only child to big sibling. It's perfectly normal. Add in Micah's NICU stay and special needs and it's bound to compound things. My #3 was a 25 week micro-preemie who spent over 4 mos in the NICU and came home in oxygen, monitors, etc. I won't lie. It was rough! But here we are years later - my preemie just turned 9, and we now have a total of 8 kids. We all survived, including the oldest two who had to adapt to their high needs sibling, and all the "older" sibs each time we add a new one. Just offer it all up - the sleepless nights, the screaming toddler, the crying baby...God will use it for some greater good and in turn give you added strength and grace to get through. You've all been in my prayers since I first heard Micah's story. Hugs to you both.

    Jera

    ReplyDelete